Sunday, July 26, 2020


July 25, 2020

Mother’s birthday. She would have been 96. She has been dead 46 years. It’s absurd. What did she think of me when she died, when I was apparently a failure living in a trailer, working as a janitor in Ithaca? It’s one of those things I cannot think about.

The combination of quarantine and retirement does odd things to my perceptions. I live so much in the world of the Ideal-- literature, art, conversations with the glorious dead, the characters I’m creating as I write--that actual people, with their slowness, their indirection, their scattered or invisible purposes, irritate me a little. I do remember this from times before, especially graduate school when I was conquering poetry and living in my little Platonic retreat on Madison Street. But then I was also sexually active, and the hunt for and seduction of sexual partners brought me back to a state of civility.

No comments: