Sunday, July 19, 2020


July 19, 2020

Days of flash thunderstorms, heat rolling back afterwards. My groundhog returns. Wild Kingdom. If I could get my bear to chase away my groundhog all would be well.

Sleep interrupted by a rash of robberies, in which someone saws the catalytic converter off the bottom of a Prius. Wake ten times a night to check if someone is sawing away at my Prius.

Long conversation with an emerald green mantis perched on my forest green trash can lid.

Had trouble with my mouse for months. Here’s what I discovered about myself fighting THAT battle. Since by far the easiest thing to heal would have been the mouse itself (get a new one, fuss with the batteries) I waited and bought a mouse pad and struggled and wondered if I needed a new computer–ALL BECAUSE IF I TRIED A NEW MOUSE AND THAT WAS NOT THE PROBLEM, I WOULD BE LOST. Had one lying around. Tried it. Perfect. Problem solved in one go. I cannot believe what we do to ourselves.

“Finished” The Nurseryman’s Wedding, though who knows what tinkering commences now.

Yesterday was perilous, as it tipped toward being fed up with this pandemic before the pandemic is even vaguely abated. You calm yourself, find another project, have a cocktail or a nap. I’m fairly good at isolation, and pity those who need more constant company.

Virtual church meeting this morning, the Vestry speaking with solemn decorum and indirection about the loss of Milly and Naomi. Everyone is so discreet I still don’t know what actually happened. Episcopalians spend so much time on discernment and self-reflection that, occasionally, the opportunity to act is lost. I think this will be one of those times.
 
Secret military police kidnapping on the streets of Portland. You never expect to see things you end up seeing.  I thought reason and compassion would rule, and would do so because, in the end, they are more efficient. People are willing to expend more effort on evil than I ever imagined.

No comments: