Friday, May 1, 2020


April 30, 2020

Cool in the string of days alternating cool and warm. The boys from Yard Fathers came, five strapping long-haired lads in a truck so full of vaping vapor you wondered how they saw through the windshield. What swagger! I bet they enjoy their time together. They fixed the fence, as I assumed they would, in under ten minutes. Drove to school. The campus is so beautiful in spring, it’s a shame there’s no one there to look at it. Much construction going on. You wonder where the money comes from, since the institution seems to have no money for anything academic. I loaded a box with stuff from my office to take out to Riverside, but a giant truck blocked our whole entrance, so I parked down by the water and watched the muddy, swollen French Broad flow for a while. Drove to take up time while the clean ladies cleaned. Went to the Brevard Road Ingles, where nobody was wearing masks. Nearly everyone at the Merrimon Ingles does. Different cultures within a single city. The quarantine seems to be fraying at the edges. If that comes out all right, all right, but the best minds warn that it will not. The cleaning ladies left me what I assume to be banana bread. AGMC tries again for a rehearsal this evening. 

No comments: