Friday, July 13, 2018

July 12, 2018

Decided to motor to Waynesville or Tryon, but all the western routes were clogged with traffic, so I exited 19/23 and headed for Marshall. The road to Marshall is also blocked by construction, but by that time my jaw was set, and I did, in a great loop,  make it to Marshall, where there is almost literally nothing to do. I was seeking some kind of adventure. . . . One who wishes to see two worlds need only travel from Asheville to Marshall. Had a BLT in the Main Street CafĂ©, where the proprietor’s granddaughter moved from table to table taking fanciful orders. I was just too outlandish and she skipped me. Moved on to Mars Hill which, but for the university, is even more boring than Marshall.

A neighbor’s gray cat lounges in my garden at evening, lord of all he surveys. Supper with DJ at Avenue M. People I have hated sat beside us. It vanished, It was swashed away. Upon it came the Refiner's fire. We were white as snow.

No comments: