Sunday, September 3, 2017

September 2, 2017

Talking on the phone when I realized a mantis seven inches long was attached to my study window screen, where she had probably come to avoid the heavy rain. Accepted this as a blessing.

Merry birthday do at the new AC Hotel downtown, at their roof bar which, evidently, had only opened on that night. Beautiful. Reminded me of Topkapi lifted into the air. The usual crew, plus Tom and Sam and Richmond and Heather. I went away happy, and that much happier suspecting that everyone had had a good time, and that I had supplied that time. One notes that reciting poetry in a silly faux-Chinese accent is always a hit. When we walked up the to desk the greeter said “I had you in Humanities.” I had to pause a minute to sense whether that was an accusation, praise, or the iteration simple fact.

Every time someone mentions Humanities, I put a needle in a mental image of the Boy. I pray I am alert to the moment and the circumstance of his humiliation. I sort of regret resigning my opportunity to be the cause of it, but sort of not.

But, anyway, happy birthday to me.

No comments: