Saturday, June 27, 2015


June 26, 2015

The Supreme Court ends marriage discrimination. One says this casually, noting that when one was born, such a thing was not at the back of even the most progressive person’s mind. It shows the flexibility of the Constitution when interpreted by enlightened men. The principle that human rights– God given rights-- do not require legislation, nor can they be legislated away, is preserved. The people most disturbed by this ruling reference the God to whom these rights are attributable. People who want to pretend to be upset on legal grounds mourn that the power to define marriage has been taken away from the States. When a State misbehaves, its prerogatives are taken away. We saw this with the Civil Rights movement, where the States cried out that the Constitution gave them the right to frame voting laws. The principle was set there: exercise an option badly, lose it. The idiocy of the opposition proves the correctness of the ruling. There is some assumption of exceptions to be made for people who have “deeply held religious beliefs,” but I say that the most deeply held belief can be cruel and wrong, and the sincerity of the belief should not protect it from correction.
   
Maybe I should go out and get married now. I often think about my perplexing and un-wished-for solitariness, most recently coming to the conclusion that I’m such a tribulation that if I had married or partnered, we would be separated now anyway and I back at square one. Circumstance merely saved me the intermediary.

No comments: