Friday, July 11, 2014


July 11, 2014

Woke from a dream in which I had been assigned to reclaim treasures stolen by the Confederacy. It was long and involved, but I remember chiefly the end, in which Robert E Lee and I were in an abandoned mansion each trying to claim a great cache of Confederate money before the other, while somebody shot clouds of scalding steam at intervals through the building, just to make it interesting.

Lunch with D and A. The conversation was mostly of B, as one might imagine, they conforming, or even intensifying, the cloud of witness. Interestingly, none of the information was exactly new. You hear things and set them aside, taking them, as you hope people will take your peculiarities, as isolated incidents. Sometimes they are not.

Amazed by how much of the day can be spent in sleep. My cats and I are having a contest. Their victory is not as sure as once it was.

Picked up the book Gods and Heroes, which was important to my childhood, and renewing acquaintance with the Greek myths. They are far more interlocking and sequential than I remember. It was all one intricately woven fabric. We are not one intricately woven fabric. We are at the stage where we begin, Penelope-like, to unravel what seems too accomplished, too defining, not exactly what we planned.

Planted one red and one white hibiscus. I always think I’m done with planting, and I never am.

No comments: