Sunday, July 14, 2013

Ohio 3



July 14, 2013

Same sun pouring through my window as woke me four years on Hiram Hill

The Ellet High class reunion at Sunny Hills Country Club turned out to be perfect, the one of these that I enjoyed the most. I felt comfortable, as I do not always. I even felt a little celebrated. Thanks maybe to Facebook, everyone knows my business, and my business of late has been, by the standards of that place and time, extraordinary. Nobody seemed as tall as they used to. Talked intimately, innocently with boys I crushed on in the ancient days. “Caught up” with those one never knew. SB remembered that in Mrs Trusley’s class during “current events” I brought an article mentioning the Vietnam War, which nobody had heard of then. Who knew anybody was listening? SH told me of a student I had moved– “redeemed,” she said–when I read for her class long years ago. JW didn’t remember working with me at Goodyear, and got back into contact at points through the night ro apologize. Learned snippets of life histories. Talked with Jack, in some ways my first friend, with whom I had not talked much these 40 years. I was happy. I knew when to leave. The frogs were calling hysterically in the golf course ponds as I went to my car under the sickle moon.

No comments: