Sunday, February 14, 2010

February 14, 2010

Gregorian chant before first light.

When this particular snow began to fall, I determined to go as I had planned to go to a reading by friends and students at Downtown Books and News. Driving was iffy, so I walked. I got within sight of the building when I thought, “This gesture is hollow. The event has been cancelled, or they won’t care whether I am there or not.” Walked back, had a salad and some drinks at the Usual, watched the snow pile up. Realized that my sudden lack of enthusiasm was not what it seemed to be, but my body telling me it was sick and wanted to go home. Watched opening ceremonies for the Olympics with DJ. They made whales swim through the floor. Spent the next day sleeping.

Last night it was Michelle and Kenn’s Mardi Gras jambalaya party. I felt mildly uncomfortable there last year, but this year was wholly mirthful. and when Kelly (my ride) wanted to go home, I was a little regretful. I didn’t know any more people this year than last, but maybe I fell in with a different crowd, for though their commonality seemed to be that they all had kids of the same age (6 or 7) I found their talk fascinating, and the handsomeness of the men (and the beauty of the women, now that I think of it) way above a random sampling. Kenn is an artist; why shouldn’t he have beautiful friends? Heard from Pam a run-down on the new art museum, which sounds not only spectacular but almost miraculous for this town at this time.

Took K and M’s beautiful child Julian a Pluto dog toy that I bought on Ebay, thinking it might be a replica of the toy I loved as a child. It wasn’t. Later, phone call from Michelle that Julian had taken his new Pluto dog to bed with him. The little redemptions add up, we hope, filling the gaps.

No comments: