Thursday, April 16, 2009

April 15, 2009

Exeter Inn, Exeter, New Hampshire.

I’m wrapped in one of the white robes places like this provide, watching TV as the night moves forward to the West. I never do this at home, so I suppose it counts as a vacation. The flights were easy, the drive from Logan no worse than it might have been. Arriving in Exeter after all these years was not the painful experience I half expected. Memories, and orientation, flooded back. The memories were happy. No great sorrow arose here. There were lovers, but I couldn’t find their houses now, so there will be no moping. I wasn’t here long enough for things to go memorably awry. Besides, the place is so full of youth and joy that everything else would be wiped clean. I stared up into the windows of my old digs on Tan Lane. I walked beside the mighty Squamscott at high tide. I don’t know where all the students were; perhaps it was supper time; perhaps it is spring break and they are gone. I smiled and was happy. Should I have struggled to remain here? Good Lord, no. I remember looking for apartments down at the Hamptons, thinking I would live above a seaside arcade and write. But it is a joyful place, and I am glad to have returned.

The obligatory cock-up was my getting on the bus to Budget Rent a Car when I had actually made a reservation with Thrifty. Budget, Thrifty, how to tell them apart? Budget could accommodate me, but for $100 more than my reservation had been. I took it, the alternative being too exhausting. The clerk and I agreed that nothing happens without a reason, and there must have been–or will be– some reason for the mix-up, something, I hope, more elevated than the assurance of more careful scrutiny of documents.

No comments: