Monday, June 23, 2008

March 13, 1919--- June 22, 2008

June 23, 2008

Dad has been dead for almost twenty four hours. Exhausted, I went to bed early last night. I had the strangest feeling, as if someone had cuddled up against my chest as I slept, a child, I thought, a fearless, happy child. Then the phone rang and I knew what news it would be. And I knew who the child was. I rose up and went walking in the night, to the rose garden on Griffing Place in the deep darkness, where all there was of the roses was the fragrance. Nobody really knows how to say goodbye. I suppose I’m no worse at it than anybody else. Luckily the sensation of the happy, fearless child, the child-soul liberated from a disappointing life and a catastrophic body, was so strong that it carried me through the walk and into bed again, and it is that I hold with me now.

C must have spread the word among our classmates, for I received a number of touching condolences. One was from TE, whom I scarcely in school, who wrote:

My prayers are with you and your family. I’m so sorry to hear of the passing of
your father who was a fellow Brother in the Masonic Lodge and knew my father. I
remember your Dad from Boy Scouts and his commitment to the Scouting
Organization. You know, David, you were blessed with a father who made a
commitment to make the world a better place and make a difference. He touched on
so many lives throughout our childhood and then as adults. What a gift to have
such a role model. God has blessed us in so many ways and having our parents as
long as we have is his way of blessing us. A gift from God that we take for
granted at times. Both of my parents are still living, but are nearing the end.
I too am blessed and will one day prepare as you are for the final resting place
in Gods house. will pray for you this evening and in the coming months and years
that God will help heal your heart. Your Friend --

One of the greatest comforts is to hear the memories of people who you didn’t even know had memories of those you love, for in them, too, they are still alive. I still remember something LaNeita said about my mother, and an anecdote shared by Lynda Sarver, and I was happy, for it was not only me who remembered her, and that was precious beyond words. Dad had I life I didn’t know about, and others did. I hope in coming times I will know more, and take delight.

When I’ve thought of him today, it is mostly of him laughing. I have his laugh, fast, raucous, chaotic, bawdy, pure. I don’t know why I should think of that, but I am grateful beyond words that I do.

No comments: