Monday, December 10, 2007

December 7, 2007

Sleepless night, acid flooding my throat whenever I began to fall asleep. This is new. Eating late or much had caused it before, and I’d learned how to cope with that, but this came during a fast. Lying awake gave me plenty of time to think. Everything that could go wrong with Ireland or with Crown of Shadows went wrong in the hours of sleepless darkness.

Ann Rhymer brought her fledgling musical The Tower over last evening, and whatever I might have been thinking beforehand, it’s sensational. The music is passionate and soaring, very Broadway while being, nevertheless, very good. She wants me to help her with the lyrics, but the lyrics she has are wonderful and fit the music perfectly. I agreed to help, not knowing exactly how I can better what is already good. May my use unfold through time.

MA and Owen make me mixed CD’s. MA’s is Donovan. I don’t know who Owen’s is, “The Opal Stone,” but if it is himself (it might be) he needs to go pro pronto.

Iran turns out not to have nuclear capability, or even plausible ambitions at all. The cornerstone of Bush’s ongoing foreign policy collapses like a sandcastle, succeeding in the same manner all past offensives. Yet there he is, the one person in the world who does not acknowledge that this, like everything else–like everything else without exception that he had affirmed or done–is a horrible mistake. The New York Times this morning reports that the CIA destroyed subpoenaed tapes of illegal interrogations. We know that the secrecy of this administration has been only and always to cover up its own atrocities and for no other reason, and yet no one has been bold enough to say it aloud. I would vote for the person who did. Only Bush’s dying in an orange jump suit–perhaps, in fine justice, at Guantanamo-- can make this right.
Some commentator mentions Bush’s “legacy.” I believe his legacy is fully intact and ready to be passed on to history. Bush came to office intending to insure that his rich friends retained and increased their share of the resources of the world, at any cost whatever, and he has done exactly that. His legacy is secure.

No comments: