Thursday, March 17, 2022

 


March 14, 2022

Brand new furnace was out on Sunday morning– the first cold night since it was installed. Of course it was Sunday, and there was no one to address the problem. R thinks it was frozen water in the drainage pipe, which makes sense, as the furnace was back on when I arrived home from church, the ice in the pipe having thawed. I don’t know that I want to spend $8600 on a furnace that’s useless below freezing. Cable also out, which means this morning was a succession of phoning repair offices and getting put on waiting lists. 

Organ concert at All Souls yesterday, an atmospheric composition commenting on the book of Job, parts of which were read before the music which described them. My thoughts went down the rabbit hole, which perhaps they were meant to do. What do you do with 1,000 donkeys?

A night of several interruptions and voluptuous dreams. The dreams, if I remember, were of my being involved in some gigantic and lavish theatrical production. I was notoriously beautiful, and part of the show was my getting dressed in front of the audience. The interruptions were Maud clawing at the basement door. Terror came first, when I thought the sound was something on the other side of the door clawing to get in. Then there was the issue of the mug. At one point last night I went into the kitchen and saw a glass mug with the remnants of the water which was drunk out of it sitting on the counter. I had not used the mug. It is one I almost never use, not convenient to reach, and I usually have very specific memories of the utensils I’ve used in a day. Whoever had drunk out of the mug, it wasn’t me. I did a once-over of the house and found nothing missing. The house was unlocked and uninhabited when I was at church, once in the morning (Purcell) then again for the concert in the afternoon.


No comments: