Monday, January 24, 2022

Dreams

 January 24, 2022

Amazing dreams of late, but last night’s needed to be noted. I came to a theater company asking them to do my play. They asked “What play?” and I began to improvise. I encouraged the assembly to play along, to answer me, to block themselves, to respond, and they did. It was magnificent. De Vega or Goethe. I think the theme was somewhat along the Faustus line, and in the dream my speeches were immense, glorious, symphonic. I wonder how they’d look written down in plain light. My former student GG took the antagonist lead, or rather the hero lead, as I think I was something dark (though glorious) and Mephisto-ish. Just before waking I began to analyze, and my voice said, “this is to show the people how to domesticate the darkness.” Well. 

Drove to the Biltmore Estate, wandered around, bought wine. The estate was nearly empty, and allowed me therefore a calm and light-struck visit. Spent time getting to the Deer Park, upon arrival learning it was not a deer park at all, but the name of a building. 

Allianz fulfills everybody’s prophesy and refuses to honor the insurance we bought for the Israel trip. It blames us for somehow not anticipating Israel’s closing of its airports on the day of our arrival. It’s discouraging that so many scams are allowed to function in the wide open. There goes $3600. 

Watched Once upon a Time in Hollywood, enjoying it for a number of reasons, but centrally because it allowed the reversal of a horrible day in American history– a veritable Hollywood ending. Margaret Qualley is a better actress than her mother. 

Karen Cragnolin is dead.

It occurs to me that EK was probably a suicide. It would explain the odd silence around the details of his passing. 

Maud has taken to climbing up to the top shelf in the upstairs study, the very highest place a little cat could get in this house. The floor is littered with the CD’s she had to displace to get there. 

No comments: