Saturday, August 29, 2020

 


August 29, 2020


Swedish madrigals on the CD. There’s a bit of everything in the world. 

Right-wing demonstration downtown, people from out of state with Confederate flags, tearing down (so it was reported) the veil from the Vance monument.  Basically a fizzle, as the locals pretty much ignored it. Looked at one way, the campaign against racism and prejudice has taken mighty steps back. Looked at another way, the crazies and bigots and troglodytes that always lingered have been emboldened by Trump to crawl out of the ditches. 

I have a page in TG’s beautiful new book, Sundays. You’re reading along and suddenly there you are, in a moment both recognizable and wholly not. Every time it is revealed that someone thinks of me, for any reason whatever, I am astonished. I try to keep the astonishment secret. CM relates on Facebook the experience of sitting beside me in class in college. I didn’t know there WAS such an experience. A truth about my life is that I have no sense of my presence in the lives of others, the impression I might be making. It usually comes out when I learn somebody has hated me with wolfish ferocity, and me without a clue. Sometimes, though, the opposite: the Lord be praised.

Praise to my beautiful garden. It is a little too orange. I’ll remember that when I’m planting in the fall 

No comments: