Monday, October 21, 2019


October 20, 2019

Roamed the city in the perfect summery light. Morning cocktails at Rocco’s. Went to the Museum of Contemporary art, was told by the attendant that it was gone. Near as I can tell, the building is now the sheriff’s office. Wonder if any of the art remains. Watched the dogs in the dog park. Watched the shirtless boys playing tennis and basketball. As the morning ticked on toward the matinee, I realized I was not going to be there for the second performance. It was a long way, and the actual event had been . . . disappointing. . . not fatally disappointing, but the sort of thing one need not go through the second time. I had worn a blister on my foot the night before.. . . etc. . . I messaged Pavel and Jaye that I was regretfully not coming–arthritis in the knee and all (an exaggeration but not a lie) and sat at the Fiesta Cantina drinking a colossal peach Margarita when the curtain came up on the second round. Pavel messaged back that it was 10 times better than the first time through. I was glad for that. Came to the Montrose, managed to nap or sleep from 4 in the afternoon till 2 in the morning, when it was time to take the limo to the Ontario airport, which I had not known existed. Certain players bring their girls to the hotel to use the restrooms at 2 AM, when everyone looks spent and slutty. My driver was an Egyptian with in-depth knowledge of real estate values in the neighborhoods we passed through.

No comments: