Saturday, January 12, 2019


January 11, 2019

Achy all day. The weather? Went to school and did my grumpy syllabi, and met with three sweet boys who mean to be English majors. In the evening, at Adam’s invitation, went to the Phil Mechanic for an “immersive cabaret” called “Finding Home,” put on my Homeward Bound, a local group fighting homelessness. It was in the old Flood, where I have not set foot for years, though it lie two floors below my studio. Turns out the “Finding Home” was tight, inventive, professional, excellent in all regards. Asheville has the talent to put on truly good theater. I had misunderstood the nature of the evening, and handed the lady at the door a $20 bill, congratulating myself on my generosity. Turns out it was a full-dress benefit for which tickets were $95 each. She let me waltz right in. Maybe I looked homeless myself. Made it up to her after the show. I thought, as I always do, “I need to get out more.”

No comments: