Thursday, January 5, 2012

January 4, 2012


Began a serious revision of Under Two Mountains, which dawned on me in an instant when I was talking with TD at the café this morning. Going to the Y for the pre-dawn work-out, then to Starbucks to meet him is about the only social ritual I have.

Hadn’t planned to take down the Christmas decorations today, which was a good reason to do so, to allow it to sneak up on me without too much thought. It is always grievous to me to take down the tree. I think that as long as it can be Christmas, something wonderful might happen. I’m such an animist that I tried to think of an adequate way to thank the Christmas tree for bringing me so much joy. Then I dragged it down the street so it could lie for a while with those of its own kind, rather than waiting for the trashmen alone out back.

Despite single digit temperatures and a serious snow, my purple windflower soldiers on. I should go hang a tiny Christmas bulb on its stalk.

The house is still heavy with the smell of pine.

No comments: