Saturday, January 14, 2012

January 13, 2012


Excellent first week of class. I feel different about it than I have in many semesters, eager, prepared, not anxious to do those things which you can get away with and still cut corners, new research, new angles, easy eloquence in lectures. I feel it in my creative life as well. I’ve never been what I would think of as an “experimental” writer, but I have been so in past days, and intend to be when leisure allows me to sit down and write again.

CK had a 20th Anniversary party for her firm at Highland Brewery. I may have been the only person there who was not a business. I took a tour of the distillery next door, remembering when the whole place was a hopeful film studio. Where are all those people now?

Cold under the fading moon, Venus aggressively blue low in the sky.

Took my students to the Magnetic Field for C’s new play. I think it was the first original play many of them had seen. They kept asking me, "Which one is the playwright?" The first time we get to talk about it, the playwright will be present. I would be nervous about that if the play had not been good, but I can’t imagine what they could say that would hurt his feelings. One protects oneself by being good.

SJB emails from new York that he wants to work on the Lincoln play again. I realize that I probably cannot do that unless a production date is pretty firm. It’s like dating the girl who jilted you five times before. Yes, you’re tempted, but even a sap like you has limits. . . .But, who knows how I’ll feel in the morning, or what he means by his circumspection?

No comments: