Wednesday, November 16, 2011

November 15, 2011

Overstuffed Monday. At the Y before dawn I reached the weight machines just after a blond, 6'2" Viking about 30 years old, if that. I decided to do exactly the weight settings he had done. Somewhat to my surprise, I did so, and with so little strain I realized I had been indulging myself; I can do more than I typically make myself do. The blond giant returned to a machine after I had finished, checked the weights, saw that they were exactly as he had left them, shot me a gratifying glance of surprise.

Drove to Hendersonville to see one-act plays that Hendersonville High and East Hendersonville High are putting on for NCTC later this week. EH put on a stunning reduction of Terra Nova. The acting was so good I didn’t believe they were all high school boys until I saw them getting out of costume backstage. HH put on a piece called “Gratefully without the Muses” (I think) which they had written themselves, and which any college would have been proud to do. Mara Egan was my hostess, and she has the makings of a subtle and effective comic actor.

First departmental quarrel I remember in 28 years. The issue is equity in scheduling, and though I really don’t fuss that much about my schedule, I find myself in there scrapping bitterly. I suppose principle is important, or maybe I’m just in the mood for a quarrel.

No comments: