Wednesday, May 12, 2010

With a rake

May 12, 2010

Painted furiously. Painted furiously after encountering Jolene and her young helper digging out the garden with a rake. They had shrubs they wanted to plant, with a rake. The helper was young enough to assume that gritty application of force will make any tool serve any use. I got them gloves to pull the poison ivy (which I eventually did myself), identified what plants they had already in the ground, what they might like to keep, and suggested the eventual size of what they had bought-- so they’d know where to put it-- and generally busied myself with butting in. But I also bought them a spade and a trowel, without which the day would have been a Laurel and Hardy comedy. Then I painted. Henry and Auto (who are dogs) wrestled without interruption in the dark library.

Writing a play which wants to be a Platonic dialogue. I’m going to give it its head and see what happens.

The back terrace is a galaxy of white anemone.

No comments: