Saturday, May 22, 2010

May 19, 2010

Blazing bright, cool. One all but explodes, trying to choose exactly the right thing to do to honor the day’s perfection.

Watched the DVD of Nine. It sticks in my head because Daniel Day-Lewis’s performance was magnificent, and the performances of the many female stars were each excellent, and yet the movie was quite awful. I can’t figure that out, how each particular can be outstanding and yet the overall conception fail. One hopes that adept performances will hide the faults of any script, but that is clearly not true, and especially not true when the script has– as Nine had–more than a whisper of the grandiose.

Plus, ever since I have been entertaining the fantasy of Day-Lewis playing Lincoln in my play. I would go to see that.

Love Creek Productions in New York will be doing two of my brief plays, Alfie and Greta and Conversations Involving Doppler the Cat. I think the show is at the Algonquin Theater on E 24th. I had no record of sending these plays to them, which means the submission was more than a year ago and I’d already deleted it. Sigh and hooray at once.

No comments: