Friday, May 22, 2009

May 21, 2009

Went to a new masseur yesterday, Norwegian Brett, who’d screwed wooden bars to his ceiling so he could hold on and walk on people’s backs. I agreed to this, and the result was wonderful, like getting a massage from the strongest man in the world. He felt the muscles of my back and said, “Yeah, you can take it.”

Heather’s Ireland: the Legend and the Dance came off pretty well, better than one expected. In terms of audience response it came off very well indeed. Adored blond Vincent in the band, a burly rough Irishman. Made me homesick. If I had a daughter, I might prefer for her to go to Irish dance class rather than ballet, for the whole high-strung, hierarchical ballerina tone was missing from the enterprise. If I had a son, too. The one little boy was self-composed and adept, his energy clearly different from the predominant energy in the room. Heather rightly made sure his masculinity was asserted in his costumes. I said, “Buddy, you have a whole harem.” He said “Yes sir” out of politeness, not having any idea what I’d just said. At curtain call there were fifty little girls looking out at the stage, one little boy looking intently at the mechanism which was lowering the curtain.

Excellent day, writing, gardening, painting with Jason. I muddy my colors by being too impatient and painting over before things are ready. We were warned that our neighbor Ursula was trouble, but she has come over to the studio repeatedly and is sweet and curious and serious about her art, and what the problem with her was supposed to have been we can’t tell. J said that he simplified his life by calling all of his friends except five and telling them not to get back in touch with him. I found this cold, but I suppose we all do it in less direct ways. How many of my friends will I never call again, and who will disappear from my life unmourned unless we collide by accident? I couldn’t avoid thinking, “When will I get the call?”

CL phoned to tell me about the new professional theater, Altamont Theater, that a couple is starting on Church Street. It will specialize in musicals. I did not say what I thought, which is that Asheville cannot sustain another full-scale arts organization, partially because I was wrong about both NC Stage and the Arts Center, which both have found a support base. CL says they are interested in The Loves of Mr. Lincoln.

1 comment:

Contact Info said...

Do give Brian & Tiffany a call!
(828) 274-8070