Tuesday, May 19, 2009

May 16, 2009

Breakfast with S and A, then along the 6th Ave. street fair, then off to MOMA, which I enjoyed more than I did the last couple of visits. Miro made the deepest impression. Bought toys. Schiller’s Mary Stuart in the afternoon– a great and majestic play, whose day was not today. My knee hurt, and it was too easy to foresee all before the end, so I left at intermission. Had lunch with two 13 year old girls and the mother of one of them, who had also left at intermission. The theater crowd is not attuned to plays like Mary Stuart as they are to, say, Jersey Boys, for it was a purgatory of paper rattling and candy unwrapping and random ringing of cell phones, about which a warning was apparently not sufficient. Maybe it’s just that when a play is miced to a fare-thee-well, all the rattling and wheezing is not heard. I have no complaint, though; somehow the day is turning out exactly the way I wanted it to.

No comments: