Thursday, August 7, 2008

August 6, 2008

Though it is still dark, I think I detect a stormy sky. Vague sheets of lightning lit the first of morning.

First rehearsal (for me) of Faustus. Far better than AYLI, as a personal experience, because I trust the director. I can see how his ideas are building. J has a vision whereas M made choices–none of them exactly right. Mephistophilis has been double cast, a move that turns out to be a life-saver for me, schedule-wise. The other Mephisto is a twelve year old girl. She is precocious, and the idea may be better than it sounded at first hearing. But I can’t tell you how irritating it is to rehearse a play that is double cast. I keep forgetting that I’ll be alone during the actual performances, and reflexively arrange myself onstage to accommodate her. None of this is anybody’s fault; I just have to learn a new skill. She’s an accomplished actress for her age, and, being twelve, very, very talkative. Her conversation is interesting and adult, but there’s just too much of it. I find myself receding into a sort of shell that responds only enough not to offend, seeking constantly, surreptitiously, for a place of refuge. It must be like being married.

No comments: