Friday, May 16, 2008

New York, cont.

May 16, 2008

Brisk rain. I’d saved room in my luggage by not bringing rain gear, and this is the day of reckoning.

Yesterday’s daylight hours were rather a waste, ruined by invasion by the outerworld. BUT, evening was different, and if it had to be one hemisphere of gray and one of gold, I’d rather it be the way it was.

The opening of Edward the King was splendid last night. It made a geometric leap from the premiere, and though I suppose it could have been better, it lies not within my compass to imagine it. We had a full house. I had to scrunch up under the tech window in order to have a place to sit. I didn’t mind. The music, which had been confusing (I guess that’s the word) the night before was clear and right and at some moments quite beautiful. Gaveston’s sense of drama causes him to hold lines many MANY beats longer than I would, but I focused on that because everything was so wonderful, so nearly (and in some cases, quite) perfect. My Isabella and my Edward are boyfriend and girlfriend, and I say they must be the most prodigally gifted couple in this city. Was introduced to old stars of old Broadway shows whom– as everyone thinks I’m from New York City–I was expected to know. I pretended that I did. Everybody knows everybody, so I felt a little awkward at intermission and at the reception afterward, but everyone’s calling me a genius was some compensation. The success of the show was so great that hunger and exhaustion–relief-- came upon me like a tidal wave afterward, and I did not go down and party in the Village, as I meant to do, but staggered back to my brick spike and slept, and woke this morning about 3 hours later than my custom. Everyone is of the opinion that piece should go to Broadway–two blocks away. I am of that opinion too. It is a good play and a great production, and all we need now is those wild gods who preside over luck to be on our side. Will the right person see it? Bruce whispered to me last night that if I knew the right people I should get them to come, which indicated to me that though everyone assumes these wish-granting magicians to exist, nobody knows exactly who they are. I will do what I always do– which is, everything I know how to do, then pray like mad for the rest.

No comments: