Wednesday, May 28, 2008

May 26, 2008

Spent the morning weeding–which, given the state of the weed beds, is more like excavating. The cicadae make a high drone over all the world, ceasing abruptly at dusk.

I’m sitting here before my computer screen. It is almost dark. I feel that summery feel of tried sweat and sunburn under the white shirt I put on because I wanted to drink iced tea and sit on the cafĂ© terrace and read Brideshead Revisited. Heaps of weeds dry on the dirt, or did dry before the light sprinkle of rain began. I have worked hard today. My tiredness is virtuous. A lover might visit. A lover would be welcome. Other than that, I don’t know what I would need tonight. One bird, a robin, still sings almost hysterically in the dark. What a strange heft to the night, melancholy, passive, heavy as old marble under miles of sea.

No comments: