Saturday, September 1, 2007

August 31, 2007

At lunch JF said, by way of explaining why there’s no formal relationship between NC Stage and me as a playwright, “Development in not part of our program.” The answer I spoke was, “Well, that’s a valid reason.” The answer I thought was, “I’m not talking about development. What I give you won’t need development. If I hand a play to a producer, it is ready for the stage.” I don’t understand why I don’t get more credit for forbearance than I do. People think I say just anything that comes into my head, because sometimes what I say is sharp or hard, or impatient to get to the point. But it is never thoughtless. It’s never untrue, though of course it may be wrong.
I’ve stopped sending scripts to development workshops, for the outcome will be either negligible or, “experts” being anxious to avoid the onus of having nothing to say, damaging. People who haven’t given real thought to the development process, who hope a play can’t work without its buying what they sell, will think that I’m deluded or arrogant. I’m neither of those things. I’m in a hurry. I know what path is the path and what is a morass.

Ganymede Arts (formerly Actors Theater of Washington) didn’t mention development when they asked to do The Loves of Mr. Lincoln in October. It was a hasty choice, because their schedule was full when they read the piece, but they love it, want to get it on the stage, and, if I read things right, to do a full production next year after introducing it as part of a Gay Arts Festival this October. I’m a little perplexed at being the darling of Gay Festivals– I have never thought of my art as particularly “gay,” and in Mr Lincoln there is not even a hint of a hint of sexual peccadillo– but I suppose that’s better than not being the darling of anything. In any case, they clearly think it’s more scandalous than I do. I think my treatment of Lincoln is respectful to an extreme, even a fulsome, degree. I wanted to put a real hero heroically onstage.

Rosemary and Ed came into town, and we had supper at Reza’s (where I haven’t been since the Rickie days) and talked about their house hunting. Maybe it was the food, but I was sick afterward in choir practice, so sick that I had to sneak into the church bathroom, closing all the sound-stopping doors behind me, and vomit copiously. During the vomiting I was stricken with agonizing stomach cramps. The only treatment I know for the muscle seizures is drinking water, and so I tried to drink water while my stomach was still engaged in sending material the other direction. There were no cups in the bathroom, so I had to bend over and try to drink out of the spigot, which position only intensified the stomach cramps. I found myself ladling water to my mouth in the cup of my hand, sweating and weeping from the pain of the muscle seizures, not knowing if I were finished vomiting or not. Contrary to what I thought then, I did recover. But the crowning touch of this calamitous (partially calamitous, anyway) week came upon me only two hours ago, phlebitis, at this point a mild case, like a bad flu with a few additional aches, but we’ve yet to see if it’s going or coming on slowly.

Tea with Jason in the morning. He gave me a book, and joy. A girl got out of a car, ran to me, kissed me, and said, “I love you.” When she came out again with her coffee she said “You’re my hero.” I looked at Jason and said, “I wish to God I knew who she was.”

3 comments:

JF said...

This may sound "sharp or hard", but I hope you'll understand that my intentions are to help.
At lunch I mentioned that from its inception NCSC has been very clear in the fact that it chooses not to produce plays from lesser known playwrights. Your answer to that was, "But you did Syringa Tree." Syringa Tree was a winner of the OBIE Award for Best Play, a Drama Desk Award, a Drama League Award, and Outer Critics' Circle Award. Also, our "lesser known" Underneath the Lintel this season has had over 450 performances Off-Broadway, won a 2001 Ovation Award (Los Angeles) and 2003 Sterling Award (Edmonton) for Best Play, and was one of Time Out New York’s Ten Best Plays of 2001, has had productions in over 55 cities in 8 countries. NCSC just doesn't do new plays at this time David, it is not personal.
On a separate note I would suggest to you that no new work is ever out-of-the-box ready for the stage, especially if it is being produced for the first time or being produced on a larger scale for the first time. The majority of working playwrights are eager to collaborate and work alongside a director. I doubt that when Neil Pepe is directing at the Atlantic Theatre Company in NYC you'd not accept his advice if it was given during a collaborative process with the best intentions of serving the play. Part of ATC's mission is to "produce great plays simply and truthfully utilizing an artistic ensemble." If you don't want to be part of an ensemble when producing new work, you're sorely limiting yourself. I have a playwright friend who developed a play there at Atlantic and when Peter Hedges sat in on a rehearsal with him he was there to give suggestions. Would you tell Peter to keep his mouth shut, "I'm in a hurry here"? The Atlantic Theatre Company's process is hardly a morass. If you're suggesting here that you think you can just plop your script down and someone will throw tens of thousands of dollars behind it without questioning one action, one objective, one throughline, one word, that's absurd. I think it's wonderful that your work is being produced by Ganymede, but they also make it very clear in their mission what they do and what they're looking for and they feel as though your work fits their mission. Your work does not fit the mission of NC Stage Company for our Mainstage. Now, that's not to say you couldn't get produced in our Catalyst Series at some point down the line, but I know that's a whole other subject entirely and you should probably just set up a meeting with Charlie and/or Angie and come right out and ask for clarification on our Catalyst Series selection process if that's what you'd like to be a part of.
As long as you continue to think one answer but give another, you'll continue to feel unsure because you're still not saying what you really think and so you're still not getting the answers that you really want. Next time we speak, just tell me what you're really thinking. Remember from lunch one of my favorite quotes? "Never mistake motion for action." from Hemingway. Give it a try with NC Stage and see what comes from it. At least then you'll know where you truly stand.
All the best, -JF.

Anonymous said...

Thanks to JF for being gentle with the blogger's pomposity.

Anonymous said...

This dude thinks he's a hot sh-t playwrite!