Tuesday, September 15, 2026

 September 7, 2026

Lovely Labor Day, cool, the sky an agate of grayish variety.

Finished They’ll Need to Know What River It Is after almost finishing it last night. 

The aerator will have to be cleaned every three days. That’s still better than not knowing what to do and not knowing how to do it. 

Choir returned to St George’s Sunday. 

Stupendous volley of fireworks last night. I’ve never heard the like, and couldn’t decide just what they were. They must have been quite close. By the time I got my shoes on to explore, it was over. I keep to myself the fact that I rather like them. 

The long-awaited AS Window book came out, and is a major disappointment. Almost every one of the photographs is bad–what is a photo book without the photographs?–reproduced in a way that flattens and pales all features and makes everything look grossly overexposed. It may be the fault of trying to economize on paper stock. The text is limp where it might have sparkled. I offered a dozen times to help. The lay-out looks like somebody’s uncritiqued first draft. Even the fonts are weird. The hope to use this is a fund-raising device is not going to be fulfilled. The unexpected shadow is that D was the energy behind this project, and how could he be feeling after years of preparation? The next part is that D’s son drowned in Lake Michigan two days ago. You leave all the threads on the ground, hoping they find a way to untangle themselves. 


No comments: