Thursday, July 23, 2026

Tropical rains

 

July 23, 2026

MB is dead. We became fast friends when we were Zeus and Hera in a Theater UNCA Metamorphosis. A witty, engaged, interesting woman. It’s  a shock when one of us goes, though it is past the time when it should be. It could be any of us at any minute. 

T writes this response to my resignation from the planning committee. No other response yet: 

Blueridgeboy. Hi David, 

     I was quite saddened to hear that you are stepping away from the creative team. I hope my comments didn't contribute to happening. I do feel your voice is an important one as I desire, and think the choir needs, to sing the kind of pieces you recommend. I want to be more of a voice for this type of music but I'm fairly ignorant, having invested much more of my life in musical theater, this is the perspective I bring to the group.

     I'm less certain now of the need for narrative in our shows than I was when we began planning Happily Ever After. From a narrative standpoint I believe the show was successful, but I agree that the narrative element strained our choices to several pieces I ended up being less than enthusiastic about. I do believe there is room for these songs in our shows, but they played a heavy hand in this last production. I would like to put forth my vision for how we move forward with shows in the future.

      I think we should see "The Holiday's are a Drag" concept through, which inevitably means bowing a little to narrative, but I believe we struck a good balance with last years show and we could continue to achieve this as long as there is someone fighting for those "traditional" pieces. I'm not certain if you saw my proposal for next spring, but in it I suggested a "theme" which could be so loosely interpreted as to allow us to do anything at all. I feel that this approach worked for "Love Unafraid", and I think it is an approach that could work in the future. By selecting a theme which is broad in scope, there is plenty of room at the table for the pieces that you are passionate about and that I want to sing.

   I feel that all the members of our group have valuable things to contribute. B leads us beautifully, JM's "Pink Christmas" choreography was great fun, M's suggestion of the cloggers was brilliant, and I'd rather sing B2's "Biblical" than "Still the One" or "We Kiss in a Shadow" (which I unfortunately contributed). However the core of the music selection came down to you, Michael, and myself, and I regret that your voice wasn't a louder one. I respect N's drive and his efforts in finding us a venue, but good heavens does the man get on my nerves, and more importantly I get the feeling that he is going to add little to our music selection process. And though I adore M and his many talents, I'm not always a fan of his taste in music. But everything you have ever put forth in my time with the group have been songs I could see myself singing, and enjoying. Once again I let myself be too constrained by narrative and may have dismissed suggestions of yours due to this, but you are the one person in the group who has not put forth at least one song that made me roll my eyes. 

     I understand wanting to step away for a time, but I hope you know that your opinion is valued, and in my opinion, necessary to this group. If your decision is final for this concert I hope that you will consider rejoining us in the spring. Thank you for everything you give this choir.

Thomas 

*

His view of things is accurate. He is in fact at fault for pinning us to skits of junior high talent show quality, and then wanting us to pick music somehow illustrative thereof. I’m given to understand this is usual in the gay chorus world, but it all but necessitates weak music selection. Not to be associated with “Rudy the Red Haired Drag Queen” is a thorn taken from my side.  

DJ and R and I went to see The Odyssey last night. Liked it. Ate as much popcorn as I have in the last five years. Reminded of all the reasons I don’t drive to the cinema anymore. Still, liked it. 

Intermittent tropical rains. I could no keep my head of the pillow. 

No comments: