Thursday, July 23, 2026

Resignation

 July 22, 2026

CH has died. 

After a tumultuous meeting around my dining room table (the tumult caused by me) I resigned from the AVLGMC planning committee. Another battle lost in my lifelong war against dumbing-down.  It required me to work too hard to establish the principle that , as a musical group, our first priority is doing good music. B is a superb organizer and absolutely tireless in planning and administrative matters. This makes him think he should have his way even when he’s wrong. In that, he is a perfect illustration of contemporary administrative mentality. I steer clear of matters that don’t interest me, but think I should be heeded when I’m right about matters that DO interest me. He thinks events are of a single weaving and he must exceed in all or lose all. I’m happy with a patchwork, X’s piece sewn in beside Y’s piece in eventual harmony. Whatever the abstract merits of these stances, I grew shrill (sensing I had no allies on the committee) and began even to bore myself. Try to imagine what the rest were thinking! Anyway, it’s a minor sadness and a huge relief. 

Walked out in the dark last night to investigate five police cars (empty when I passed them) lined up along my fence on Lakeshore. Lights were on in 62, my old house, which is uninhabited now. Never did figure out what the issue was. Phoned DJ, but he didn’t know either. Perhaps squatters. Maybe they found a body. I’ve already missed the morning news. 

I’d forgotten The Odyssey is funny.

Thinking of the films of Trump trying to horn in on Spain’s World Cup victory celebration. An old guy wanting to be part of the fun would be dear, I think, if the old guy weren’t a money-mad senile dictator. 

No comments: