Tuesday, July 16, 2024

Sparrow

 

July 15, 2024

Rain over Minneapolis. I am, of course, showered and packed with two hours to kill before I can reasonably head to the airport.

The crowd seemed to love us yesterday afternoon, but whether we actually sang very well one cannot be sure. I hit my low notes with the vigor that comes from knowing you don’t have to do so again for a while. I was timid at rehearsal, but recognized my Thor voice spreading its wings at the actual performance. Had fun with and drew closer to my brothers in the chorus. As you age and recognize the mutability of all things, affection is more cautious, but still sometimes it arises. Spent prodigally. Was it worth it? I have an experience I wouldn’t have had otherwise. It will take days to contextualize. Walking becomes harder and harder. Most of my afflictions have been a phase that passed eventually away. Maybe this will be too.

As I walked to the Normandy last night for our celebration dinner, I found a little sparrow banging repeatedly against a window, either trying to get in or fighting the bird in the window. I tried to lift him away and aim him in another direction, but he returned each time, and finally was so angry or so frightened that he began attacking me. Could think of nothing to do, so I went on my way. When I returned hours later he was gone.

No comments: