Friday, February 23, 2024

 

February 18, 2024

Clement Sunday morning after a knife-edge Saturday, which began under a veil of snow. Rehearsal in the morning for the Hayden St Nicholas Mass rough but convivial. I’m making actual friends in the chorus. Got a parking ticket because I’d not parked downtown in so long I didn’t know Saturdays are no longer free. The Saturday night performance was. . . what do I want to say?. . . . more chaotic than it needed to be. The caterers were furious with the choristers because we all had to occupy the same space at the same time. We had to grab our coats and run after our piece, as the caterers had to bring out their trays of oddly prepared root vegetables. Bad planning, or contempt for the choristers, one. The performance itself was rough because of miss-communication between Maestro and Chorus. At one point D knitted his impressive brows with rage at a soprano anticipated entrance. The soprano I stood in front of whispered “It’s on him.” and it actually was. He paused where he had not before, and the gesture he made did not communicate a pause longer than the printed rest. I made no errors, and was in my glory in the one low part in the Gloria. But, nothing exhibits the deep-dyed amateurism of the Asheville performing arts scene more than the belief that jovial announcements, greetings, acknowledgments are necessary before a performance. Put it in the program and get your fat ass out of the way of the art.

Rudy & companion finished the living room ceiling, and I am mostly moved back in (with some improvements in decor), even getting the TV set up with not too much frenzy. Of course, it’s not REALLY finished: Rudy forgot the tool he needed to re-affix the crown molding, and so must return sometime to do that. $1500. I gave them $1700 for helping me move the furniture. 

Afternoon at All Souls watching H’s wonderful puppet show, Animalia. Screams of laughter from the children, respect for his skill from the adults. Dinner with DJ at Rye Knot afterward. I stared at the bill wondering how one person could eat $72 worth of food. Most of it, in fairness, was drink. 


No comments: