Tuesday, February 28, 2023

Herbs

 

February 28, 2023

Warm and fair. Went to Reems Creek Nursery, but it was bare to the pavement, not a tree, not a bush, just some wintery annuals and herbs. Jesse Israel looked the same the other day. This must be the time of year when nurseries clean out their stock. Where do all those unsold plants go? Reacting to this, I bought what herbs were available, resolving to start a porch container garden. Planted peppermint, spearmint, rosemary in the big pots I’ve accumulated, the ones not smashed by bears. Lavender still to go, but I think those will go into the ground. Moving the pots uncovered principalities of the pill bugs. I watched one zig zag around in the sun–which must have been painful for it-- until it found a crack between the bricks big enough to hide in until dark. 

Red-shouldered screaming too high to be seen. 

Watched a concert version of Carousel early into the morning. I was sad and didn’t want to sleep. The musical made me sadder and happier at the same time. Musicals were rejected from our family entertainment, usually, but for some reason we did see the movie Carousel, and my memories of it are vivid and enduring. I thought Julie Jordan was like my mother. I didn’t think exactly that last night, but I remembered why I had.

No comments: