Sunday, June 13, 2021

Opening Night

 

June 12, 2021

Rainy, close morning. Rabbits graze the clover in the twilight on both sides of night. 

Our opening performance was sensational. I had FUN, which I had not been having at rehearsals. I played. I gamboled. Explored. Got laughs from the unlikeliest lines of a gloomy play, the gloom of which, I think, was heightened by the moments of levity. . . or absurdity. I’d forgotten what fun acting is, how rewarding to the imagination. My last turn on stage had not been that much fun, so I’m glad to have my spirit renewed. Jesse was gleeful. The playwright was in the audience, and though we were not encouraged to clog the room up by lingering, I hope he was pleased. I trust he was pleased. Most of the impulse for this adventure was to acknowledge all those actors who spent time and effort realizing my words & vision. Trying to return the favor. 

People exclaim: “God! I love the theater!” Do I? I love plays. That’s close, but maybe not the same thing. 

J started in show business singing with his father’s traveling Gospel show. He lives with two brothers in West Asheville. His ambition for performance is huge, and the distinct qualities of his voice would make him–so far as I am able to judge– a viable musical professional. Folky and country. I promised to read his play-script-or-screenplay in process. It seems to be about a superhero with a bad heart. . . 

Canon A phones today. I’m going to Israel with the bishop, November 26-December 8.


No comments: