Tuesday, December 26, 2017


December 25, 2017

Heroic Christmas sleep, not entirely detached from bed and slumber until nearly 11 AM. The service at All Souls last night was sweet and mellow, a crescent moon hanging above, mostly concealed by the winter clouds.  My voice disappeared on the last hymn. This is a self-protective Christmas, an exhausted animal creeping into its den for restorative hibernation. Another way to look at it is that I have completely failed as a human being, not having answered the phone for two days, not having put up a single holiday decoration. 

Bread rises down in the kitchen. I started baking without checking to see if I had enough flour. I didn’t. Who knew that Walgreen’s would be open on Christmas, and that it would carry flour? Gathering strength--

No comments: