Wednesday, August 24, 2016


August 24, 2016

Was fussing in the yard when a burly worker from the sewer department crossed over and handed me a flyer announcing sewer work in the street. Look likes hell locally for the foreseeable future. There’s a manhole in the middle of my drive, and he lifted it up and revealed a huge atrium– I couldn’t see the bottom or any of the sides from where I stood–a grotto, a chasm right there under my yard. It was quite wonderful, actually. I was ashamed that I had never thought to explore. Kids beat on the side of my house last night. They were standing at the end of the drive screaming “fuck you” when I launched out the door in pursuit. They were girls. They did me the honor of fleeing in disarray. I assume it was high spirits and nothing specific to me.  Sat in the dark of the garden and strove mightily with the powers of the air. Three red stars glittered at the edge of a tree, as though set there to adorn it. I asked to be as beautiful as the thee red stars, somehow.

No comments: