Wednesday, October 1, 2014


October 1, 2014

Autumn asserts itself with red light under the trees in the west yard.  I wasn’t sure of it before.

Maud caresses my feet. Heat from the roof pervades the study, but heat will soon be so rare that I do not fan it away.

Did my mile at the Y, going over my lines, this time without the book. Then home to address the carton of bulbs that had come from Indiana. This may well have been one of the great planting days of my life. I am so sore I can hardly move, and my nap, though long, was turbulent with finding how to lie without exacerbating an ache. Into new plots and holes scratched into the surface went orange monarch snow crocus, altruist daffodils, remembrance crocus, blue grape hyacinths, roulette daffodil, Siberian tiger grape hyacinth, Mount Hood daffodil, yellow mammoth crocus, lubaantun daffodil, a raft of yellow jonquils, aconite, blue hyacinth, Jan Bos hyacinth, red carpet border lily, an orange and yellow hyacinth mixture. My mind goes to the scarves and sheets and ropes of color in the grass when spring comes. These joined the cyclamen, which was already blooming.

Have not looked at email or phone. Because of all that, for a moment I am happy.

No comments: