Sunday, May 6, 2012



May 5, 2012

The world is chirping itself awake.

Took Marco to the theater last night. He had to leave at the interval, to make a delivery. I’d like to have said, “You know, we have never had time together which was as long as I expected, or from which I departed first,” but it would cause him anxiety without changing anything. Two seats away, though, was a gentleman whose name I seem to have forgotten, an Irishman long ago transplanted, a former high school soccer coach, a sports fanatic who decided to expand his horizons into theater. We chatted at the interval, then spent the remains of the evening satisfactorily.

Came home and sat in the remarkable moonlight flooding the trees and the understory. You could tell colors in the blazing blue light. I sat on my newly transported table, drank gin and tonic and sucked in the radiant night.

Commencement in pouring rain. Students and families sat while the rain came down not in a shower, but in an extended, drenching downpour. Some of them came to get their diplomas shivering with cold. They all kept, though, a lovely spirit.

Fine service for David Nard. I read the passage out of Romans about never being separated from the love of Christ. It contains that glorious, agonizing line, “For the creation awaits in eager expectation for the children of God to be revealed.”  Underwent a kind of conversion during the service, from which I am now spent and exhausted.

Took care of DJ’s fish, and when I came put on the porch, the full moon had risen golden and tremendous. He made a gold roof for himself out of a rack of low flying cloud.  A day begun and ended in moonlight.

No comments: