Friday, February 4, 2011

February 3, 2011


The budget crisis at the university has reached the point of firings. On one hand, it is difficult to see what other recourse administration had. On the other hand, the firings and reassignments and renegotiations are being handled with the peremptory arrogance that has been the hallmark of the last few years. One ignores or endures peremptory arrogance on day to day matters, on academic matters, as something not worth quarreling about, but a little more finesse is called for when the issue is someone’s livelihood. I wonder where administration came up with the idea it could present faculty with a fait accompli? I suppose we allowed it by a lapse of vigilance. We are not being fired, but staff is, and certain administrators are being returned to the classroom. Typically, no discussion or suggestions are allowed from those who, inevitably, would have had better ideas.

Lorena shuffles my classes to make sure I don’t come in contact with the accreditation assessors next year. She did me a favor, and I told her so. On the other hand, it’s disturbing to have such a reputation for –what? Rebellion? Fecklessness?

Excellent classes. I am crawling out of my end-of-freedom funk.

Evening: Reynolds High finally got their Holiday Concert played, and I finally got to do the narration for “A Bell for Anya.” I did the last few pages fighting off an almost irresistible coughing fit. It turned out to be just barely resistible, but I think lent a tremble to my voice that I hope the crowd interpreted as emotion. The kids were so beautiful and able and dedicated. I hope I was that into my music when I was in high school. I think I was, though I was more hesitant to show it than they.

No comments: