Saturday, February 12, 2011

February 12, 2011

Excellent day. In the dark of morning composed–or at least got a tremendous start on composing–the budget for Cambridge. Realization: Bureaucracy is a form of retardation. It puts from a few to very many steps between one and what is actually going on.

Plunged into the labyrinth of Italian pronouns and articles, hoping to emerge into light on the other side. I ace all the little quizzes they give; I just hope that means I’m learning the language.

Went to the studio before anyone else was there and painted and painted, and was happy. Couple from Columbia came in and thought it marvelous that I was painting on drywall. Auto the dog sat with me, looking, as he does, deeply sad. I chattered merrily to him, but that didn’t seem to help.

Saw Marco briefly. Talked to David Gary on the phone for forty minutes. Returned calls to two other friends and thought myself a social genius, until I fall behind again.

On the streets last night, first to a reading at Downtown Books and News– Matthew runs the program and Devin was reading– and then to an opening at Bill’s gallery. New faces, merry reintroduction to old faces. Drinks at Sazerac, drinks at Avenue M, then reeling home.

Half moon now exactly in the middle of the sky.

No comments: