Friday, February 13, 2009

February 11, 2009

DJ joined Travis and Greg and Nathan and me after rehearsal last night. I think he was overwhelmed by the flood of theater gossip, as indeed was I. Those youths know twice as much about theater as I. But I have never been very conversational about the things I loved best to do, thinking that discussing and doing were somehow inimical. I have said in the past that I am all practice and no theory, and though I probably said it to fend off unwanted confabulation, it is nearly true.

Cast as Robert the crazy mathematician in Proof and as Hamlet’s ghost in Hamlet, though Hamlet is so far off who knows how that will turn out. Was it Stephen Daedalus who assumed Shakespeare played Hamlet’s ghost? I will think of that, happily, the whole time. Working with Adam and Trinity again, all sweetly incestuous. Adam and Cody and Trinity are the best natural actors I know. Cody, receptive and a little undiscriminating, could be ruined by bad instruction, but I think the other two are indestructible. Adam’s variety and inventiveness are remarkable; Trinity makes everything she says sound intelligent and evocative. Cody engages the passions. I should have included Darren in this group, though what he does is to turn everything into Darren, which, in everything I’ve seen him in, has been plenty.

The gods of theater have struck G with the inspiration to do Saturninus as a comic figure, which may save the show.

Loaded Google Earth, and have spent an hour zooming in on places known to me. My father’s patio and the fish pond are visible in the view of Foxboro Ave. A white car is parked in the drive. Individual trees are visible in Goodyear Heights Metropolitan Park. My sweet gum blots out the cottage in the photo of my home, and the photo was taken when the pear still filled up the front yard.

No comments: