Monday, January 14, 2008

January 12, 2008

Wonderful time last night at Asheville Pizza with most of the cast of Crown of Shadows. We went to see the movie Across the Universe, a 60's musical buoyed up by Beatles’s songs. They probably didn’t know how much it meant to be to be invited, especially after the gloom day I was having. The film didn’t move me as much as I think it was supposed to, but I was delighted by my companions’ full-blooded reaction. They brought sparklers and set them off at an appropriate moment. The management gave us ice cream. The very big man I was sitting next to moved and gasped at scenes he especially liked (having seen the movie a dozen times already), and it was fascinating to compare his enthusiastic body language with what was going on on the screen. I thought I knew how to have a good time, but some people leave me in the dust.

Belve looks sensational in his new haircut.

Coffee with JS to talk about his graduate school applications. I wondered what it was like to be beautiful and smart and young and tall and committed and brave and stand at the edge of an infinitude of possibilities. I’ve had a few of those things, but not all, and never all at once. He thinks he is requiring a task of me, but he is really allowing me to bask for a moment in human glory. Maybe our gratitude evens out somewhere in the middle.

No comments: