Wednesday, December 21, 2022

 

December 20, 2022

Baroque Christmas music. Sudden vivid memory: I’ve just arrived at Hiram as a freshman and the Baldwin Wallace music department is presenting an evening of Bach at Hayden Auditorium. I’ve never heard of Bach, and I ask someone about it and they can’t believe I’d never heard of Bach. I cross the street, attend the concert, and it changes my life. Is this a recollection or part of a dream? Can I really not have known Bach? I do remember what struck me was the antiquity of the music, as though it were the first ever in the world. The discovery of Renaissance and Gothic were further shocks. 

Fascinating vestry meeting, an old troublemaker up to her old designs. I express my wonder that people have the patience and energy to carry malice on through the long months. I’ve recognized the futility of many a battle, based on the fact that I just couldn’t keep enthusiasm up. 

Art beginning to pile up. Where will I store these paintings? How will I get them seen? 

L came to fix the closet door, explaining that, as the house is old and the floors no longer level, many things will be going awry. I asked “How much do I owe you?” and he said, “You gave me a truck.” He’s invited random people to my New Years party, effectively doubling attendance. That must be acceptable behavior somewhere way out West. 

ASCC rehearsal. I was alone on the 2nd bass part. I like that.


No comments: