Friday, September 28, 2018


September 28, 2018

Beethoven from the radio downstairs. My students are giving their class presentations, and they’re by and large horrible, superficial, disorganized. Every year someone does Gesamtkunstwerk without bothering to take even a stab at German pronunciation. I blame their high school teachers for instilling in them the notion that the least is enough, without really knowing if they’re at fault. Perhaps I’m at fault for not exploding in their direction.

Evening, returning from the garden covered with dirt and scratching mosquito bites, but having done yeomanly. Every year I think I’m going to plant an ocean of daffodils.  My big handsome bullfrog gave me full sight of himself at the pond’s edge, disappearing only when I turned my eyes away.

No comments: