Thursday, May 12, 2016


May 12, 2016

Mercury the red slider arrived in his tiny box yesterday. Everything about him was tiny. He could hide under a 50 cent piece. I held him in my hand and he tried to dig with his little feet, tried to push my fingers apart with his tiny head. Trying to get down, down. I took him to the pond, and a second after I’d set him on a rock, he dived for the water. I could see him hiding beside a tub of waterlilies. He came to the surface, breathed a while, then reversed and headed for the abyss.
   
Showered, dressed for rehearsal last night, drove to church but didn’t go in. Curious.
   
A tadpole was clinging to a lily pad, maybe trying out his new lungs.
   
Finished Antigonus early this morning.
   
Did some hoeing. Lacking in ambition, deciding that’s all right for now.
   
Day of variegated perfection. 

No comments: