Thursday, October 8, 2015


October 8, 2015

E is back, revealing that she was gone because her sister had been kidnapped and drugged, and came to enough to flee from the motel where she was being held, to call E, who whirled down to set things to rights. Like a TV show.
   
Despite these heroics, very ragged rehearsals. Investigating the phenomenon of blanking on stage to those things which I knew perfectly well an hour before. An old story, but still an irritating one.,
   
Agony of light-blindness, driving nightly west into the setting sun.
   
Applied for Medicare. Jesus
   
Planted paeonia, iris. Mulched.
   
Asking questions about the Iliad and receiving no answers. Only a few have read it, is my conclusion., One girl raises her hand and says, “I tried to read it, but I’m lost. I just don’t understand what’s going on.”
   
“Is your translation in English?”
   
“Yes,” she says, without a change of expression.
  
The correct response is, “Then you have no business being in college.” But I betray my public trust, shrug, and begin telling them the story.

No comments: