Saturday, February 2, 2013



February 2, 2013

Blasted through Lysistrata in class (it’s sure-fire; all you have to do is point out the dirty parts and the kids do the rest), then home to discover our trip to Charlotte was only an hour off. No nap. No deep breath. We went to see Maria in The Secret Garden by Charlotte Children’s Theater, and insofar as we did that, I guess the trip was a success. I also guess that the production was hitting the audience of ten year old girls it was aiming for, but for DJ and Kyle and me it was more fuss than pleasure. The production was sunk by its own ingenuity. It became a play about gigantic moving stairs, which at one point collided with other scenery and always grabbed attention away from the actors. The play itself is a little creepy. It was, nevertheless, well played by all on stage. I wanted to go backstage and give the director a talking-to. It’s always the director’s fault. Charlotte, though, was fun, with its futuristic skyline glittering and everyone we met kind and happy. I sat in the backseat all the way home thinking I was going deaf because I couldn’t hear what they are saying up front.

Groundhog will see a shadow a mile long on this bright pure winter day.

No comments: