Sunday, November 14, 2010

November 13, 2010

Dug and planted under the spruce yesterday afternoon. It was late, the sun declining. I stood up for a moment and leaned on my spade, and was still for maybe a minute. In that time a flock of goldfinches–eight at least–came to the birdbath and began to drink. At the same instant a downy woodpecker landed on the dogwood and commenced exploratory pecking. All in all, in the space of two minutes, while I stood still, watching, eight species of bird landed in area I could cover with a sweep of my spade: robin, goldfinch, downy woodpecker, nuthatch, chickadee, titmouse, mockingbird, house finch. I thought there was a cedar waxwing, but there is almost never only one. It was the Peaceable Kingdom. It made me remember a time earlier in autumn when I was filling the backyard birdbath with the hose, a process which must be slow or the power of the hose empties the basin as fast as it fills. An olive-y-yellow warbler sat in the branches of the dogwood. He was clearly very thirsty, for as I poured, he dropped down branch by branch, till he was inches form my shoulder, watching the progress of the water, wondering if he dare plunge in while I was standing there. He even squawked and scolded a little to hurry my lumbering giant ass along. As soon as I turned my back and made for the door, I heard the tiniest splash behind me.

Circe did an amazing little dance around her stuffed mouse. It was downright ballet. What goes on in a cat’s imagination?

Sent Riding Funhouse to the Anderson Agency in New York, at their request.

No comments: