Monday, June 28, 2010

Cambridge 10

June 28, 2010

Visit to the Barton School today, as near as I can tell an idyll of happy memories and dedicated teachers. I wanted to play with the kids. Hell, I wanted to BE one of them, starting all over in a different world.

Off then in perfect weather to Ely Cathedral. The roadsides were dressed in orange and lavender as poppy and thistle interspersed. I’ve been to Ely several times now, and each time the first glance at the mighty nave is awe-inspiring. In its day it must have been as unanswerable as the pyramids. I saw Queen Phillipa and her retinue entering the south doors. This was the first time I climbed to the Lantern. I am the Official Encourager, so it wouldn’t have done for me to refuse, though narrow staircases and high parapets have never been high among my preferences. But all, was well, One of us could not fit through the door from the roof, and one hand a panic attack on the stairs, but other than that it was clear sailing. My knee is a mess, but the staircase was so narrow I could do most of the climbing with my arms. It has been a climbing week for me already, as last night, the pubs closing early and I not ready to retire, I climbed the Castle mound for the first time. It is. . . well, not disappointing, but not breathtaking either. Kings looks like a rowboat tied to four poles upon a lake of roofs. I felt I couldn’t linger, as a boy was sitting with his arm awkwardly around a girl, and he was explaining in a rather stern voice and she was sobbing. I came up and went down so quietly they didn’t know I was there. Made friends with a puppy at the bottom. His owner had just been taken to the hospital, and his caretaker offered me ownership. “See, he likes you already!”

The bus passed Maggie’s house. There’s a new coat of white paint and a fine blue trim. I felt better.

1 comment:

Proud Parents said...

Thank you so much for your reports from Cambridge. Nice to see what the kids are doing.